Tuesday, November 3, 2009

First Day

I started a new nursing class this week, and we had our very first day of clinical today! For whatever reason, the APU school of nursing decided to split the 5th semester of the nursing program and make us take two separate 6 unit classes this semester instead of just one. If you ask me, it's not a good idea to cram a 6 unit class into just 7 weeks! But, no one asked me.

My group survived the first class (rehabilitation nursing) and we are now beginning the second one (mental health). We had our first day of clinical today at the psychiatric hospital. It wasn't anything exciting- we just took a tour of the building, then listened to our teacher talk for a couple hours.

On Thursday, we'll actually get to start working with patients! I'm really excited, but at the same time nervous because we don't get to do the normal nursing stuff that I'm used to. We're just supposed to talk to our patients the whole day about their particular mental illness. We don't even wear scrubs! This will be a very different experience than all my other clinicals.

I'm excited that I'll get to work in the adolescent unit first, rather than with the adults. It seems like they will be a little easier to talk to.

I'll let you know how it goes on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment