Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Highlights

Thanksgiving was pretty fun this year. I usually don't get too excited about the holiday because I'm a picky eater and I don't like a lot of the traditional Thanksgiving foods (especially the big one, turkey). But, I do love potatoes and corn and the rolls that my mom and I only make for Thanksgiving, so I manage to find enough food to feel pretty full by the end of the day.

This year was very different from any other year because the only guests were my cousins- the Uphuses- and my grandpa. The Uphuses have never celebrated Thanksgiving with us before because they usually travel to their dad's side of the family for the holiday. And we normally have Gram and Grandfather over, but this year they were celebrating in Puerto Rico with Jen.

It was still a very fun day, even though the guest list was different. Here are some of the highlights from the day:

*Jello competition (Tracie brought "Green Jello" which has applesauce and Sprite, Tyler brought "Ice Cream Jello," and my mom made "Lemon Cloud" which is also made from jello. We never did vote on the winner, though.)

*Grandpa creating his own addition to the jello competition by spilling an entire cup of Orange Soda on top of the Lemon Cloud (thankfully we had all gotten a piece already!)

*Playing the "Thankful Game" that I'm pretty sure my dad created on the spot (we had to say one thing we're thankful for in 2 words or less, and go around the circle as fast as we could. My favorite: Tyler was thankful for indoor plumbing.)

*Jen and several people with her calling every phone and cell phone in the house at the exact same time

*Playing Hucka Bucka (an Uphus tradition that they taught us)

*Skyping with Jen, Gram, and Grandfather

*Skyping with Dana and Carl

*And eating a yummy cocoa cream pie with oreo crust that I made from scratch!!

All in all, it turned out to be a very fun day, and I'm already looking forward to next Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment