Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Civil War Saga

I want to tell you about one of my favorite things once again- books!

I just finished reading my favorite book in the whole world for the 4th time, a novel that takes place during the Civil War. It's called Candle in the Darkness, by Lynn Austin. I first read it when I was in high school, and I LOVED it! It instantly became my favorite book of all time, and it hasn't been beat.

The story follows the life of a Southern girl named Caroline Fletcher. Caroline lives in Richmond and her family owns slaves, but she has always seen the slaves as people rather than possessions. When the Civil War begins, Caroline believes more in the cause of the North than of her homeland, the South, and struggles to seek God's will in the whole situation. It's a beautiful story about being obedient to God and fighting for what's right, and it has some romance sprinkled in as well.

Now imagine my delight when I found out that Candle in the Darkness is actually the first book in a series of three?! I couldn't wait to read the other two! I quickly found out, though, that the main characters are completely different in each book (although they are related to Caroline's story in one way or another), so the series is not a continuation of one story, but instead three different points of view during the same historical event. The first book is from a Southerner's perspective, the second from a Northerner's perspective, and the third from a slave's perspective. What a great idea for a Civil War Saga!


Fire by Night, the second book, follows the story of two young women, Julia and Phoebe. Julia is a rich girl from Philadelphia who, against her family's wishes, becomes a nurse for the North during the war. Phoebe is tomboy farmer in West Virginia who has been raised by her three brothers. When they all go off to fight in the war, she wants to join them, so she disguises herself as a man and becomes a soldier herself.


A Light to My Path, the third and final book, is about two slaves in South Carolina who have both lost their families. One is bitter and angry at all white people, while the other is timid and fearful. They both struggle with finding dignity in the life of a slave, as well as forgiving those who have enslaved them.

All three books are fantastic, and I highly recommend each of them. Lynn Austin is an incredbile author (my favorite!) and she has created very real, complex, relatable characters that become your friends as your read their stories.

So if you enjoy Christian historical fiction romance novels, then you should definitely read the Refiner's Fire series!


P.S. Once you're done with this series, then you should read the rest of Lynn Austin's books. Between my mom and I, we own 11 of her novels, and all 9 that I've read so far are amazing! In fact, I'm going to start reading her newest one, While We're Far Apart, right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment