Monday, March 21, 2011

Nursing "Fundations"

I started a part-time job 2 weeks ago! I am now a Teacher's Assistant for APU's School of Nursing!

The Chair of Undergrad Nursing wanted to start a part-time position that new grads could hold while looking for nursing jobs, so she created a TA position a couple months ago. She thought I would be a great person for it, so I was basically handed a job! I was so happy!! Three of my fellow South Africa nursing friends and I are the only ones working as TAs right now, but more people may join us in the future. It's kind of exciting that we're basically pioneering this position!

Right now I'm working with the freshmen nursing students at their clinical site. They're in Nursing Foundations (which another TA has nicknamed Nursing "Fundations" because we want to make it as fun as possible for the students). I go to Foothill Presbyterian Hospital on Thursday and Friday mornings, and I basically oversee the students as they go about their clinical experience. I answer their many questions, give them tasks if they have nothing to do, and help them with assessments and patient care. I work alongside their clinical professor, but she's basically given me all the same duties and responsibilites that she has!

I've been having a great time getting to know the 9 students in the clinical group. They are all so sweet and so eager to learn. They make me laugh because they are so scared to do anything with their patients! I remember being exactly like them when I first started nursing, and it makes me proud to realize how much I've grown and matured as a nurse.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a real nursing job. Please keep me in your prayers as I look for just the right position that God has prepared for me.

1 comment:

  1. That is exciting! Sounds like a good fit for you, but we will keep praying for a "real" job to come about :)

    ReplyDelete